This drawing above is an observation drawing of my friend's eye. I have never really been good at drawing or sketching eyes, so I decided I would challenge myself for this project and observe an eye to draw. My friend wears mascara and eyeliner everyday, so for the eye that I drew I sketched darker and thinner to represent the mascara and eyeliner. She also has long eyelashes that curve at the tips so I drew that as well to best fit her eye. I decided not to draw her eye in color and use black and white instead because I like the charcoal medium better and this is the aspect of the project that I wanted to change a little. Overall, this is one of the best eyes I have drawn throughout all of my art classes and I think it is a pretty good representation of my friends eye.
Monday, December 15, 2014
B. The piece of art that I decided to create was a watercolor painting of Winnie the Pooh. The image I used as my inspiration was a lithograph work of a tea pot that was on the North Carolina Art Museum's online photo gallery. When I looked at the painting of the tea pot, I immediately thought of a whimsical and youth piece of artwork. Winnie the Pooh came to my mind because he is a whimsical character that targets a younger audience, so I decided to paint Winni the Pooh as my art project. The reason I used watercolor as my medium was because I thought it would best replicate the young audience theme that at was in the tea pot lithograph art piece. After I finished the painting, I pasted Winnie the Pooh on some newspaper and finally on a black paper background to emphasize his colors. Overall, I really like the way my final piece came out.
C. Three pieces of evidence:
Monday, November 24, 2014
I drew a bottle with chalk pastel a few weeks ago. However, I did not like how it came out so I decided it would be perfect if I used this piece to for the Artists Destruction project. The overall project is a drawing of a bottle inside an actual bottle filled with water. By filling the bottle with water, I destroyed my art piece.
Friday, November 14, 2014
1. Our project idea is to create different words with our bodies. In the picture above, we are planning out different words and how we are going to generate them into an "artists collaborate" art project.
2. I am collaborating with 3 other girls; Hannah, Brooke and Bre. My role in the project is to help think of ideas/what words we should use and how we should create those words.
3. The final piece will be of us 4 creating different letters/words with our bodies. We have only done the planning so far, so hopefully the final will come out the way we want it to.
Thursday, November 6, 2014
Friday, October 24, 2014
Artists Solve Limitations
For this project, the limitation I used was only using University logo's to spell out my name. As you can see, my name is spelt out with the logo's for NC State, Appalachian, Princeton, Notre Dame, and Auburn University. The main problems that I encountered with this project was finding the right logo to represent my name and making sure I could replicate them accurately so that people looking at my project could tell which logo belonged to which university. In addition, this project was very tedious and required a lot of patience to make sure that there were no little mistakes that could potentially make the project look different than the way I wanted it to look. A last minute decision that I decided to make, was to replace the cursive word "Mountaineers" in the middle of the Appalachian logo, and replace it with my last name which is the same amount of letters as the word "Mountaineers". Overall, I really like how the project came out and I feel like I used the theme of this project in a unique way.
Thursday, October 9, 2014
1. Before starting this unit, I thought stealing and copying were basically the same thing. I thought that if you stole something, you called it your own. And if you copied something, you took and idea from someone else and called it your own as well. However, after finishing the "Artists Steal" unit, I realized that stealing and copying are two different things. Stealing, is taking something from someone else and changing it up to make it your own. On the other hand, copying is taking something from someone else and not changing it. Therefore, stealing can be seen through my drawing of Jerry as shown above. I took the original photo of Jerry, drew a replica of it, but changed the theme by drawing him as a patriot. Therefore, I did not copy the photo of Jerry, I "stole" it.
2. My character remix project was of Jerry the mouse from the TV show Tom and Jerry. The remix concept of this project was utilized by making Jerry a patriot rather than an ordinary mouse. I drew a red hood-less sweatshirt with "USA" in stars written across and also drew striped plants for the mouse to wear. Jerry's hands and feet are dotted with red and blue dots and if you look close enough, the inside of his ears are pink with small white stars. Lastly, there is a star on the tip of Jerry's nose and his whiskers are colored red. The reason I decided to draw Jerry as a patriot is because his enemy, Tom the cat, is of a different political party, one that is not a patriot or in favor of America.
3. My final project is of a "palm"-tree. The hands that are drawn in green replace the normal, large leaves that a regular palm-tree would have. The branch of the tree is a normal branch with a zig-zag pattern that is colored in all shades of brown. Lastly, instead of having clouds above the hands, there are balloons that the hands are reaching for. The merit of my final project is the "play on words" and how I "interpreted the meaning" of a palm tree. Instead of drawing an actual palm tree, I changed up the meaning of the word and drew a tree with palms (hands) instead. Therefore, my merit is the play on words and the different interpretation I brought upon this final project.