Monday, September 8, 2014

Artists Observe 1



I Create Original Art:
I used my own unique ideas in this observation piece by using fake snakes as my observation object. This purpose of this assignment was to place an object on the sidewalk/street and observe how other individuals react to that object.  After contemplating what object I wanted to use, I decided to use fake snakes that were packed away in my garage.  Although this was a risky object to use, I went ahead and used the snakes as two observational objects.  My source of inspiration was the video that Mr. Sands made us watch in class.  The object that the lady used in the video was a 20 dollar bill. Although this was an interesting object to use, I did not want to risk losing money.  Instead, I thought of using an object that would cause a drastic reaction and I immediately thought of the snakes.  I'm very happy with the way this observation piece came out.  

I Take Risks:
As I mentioned above, the biggest risk I used regarding this project was the use of fake snakes as my object.  This was a risk because I was afraid that I would really scare the random people on the street that passed the snakes.  In the end, I decided to use the snakes and the result of my observation was pretty good and did not cause too much fear.  Because this was an observational piece, I used the camera that was on my phone instead of drawing the reaction.  I was contemplating whether or not I wanted to draw the reaction but I thought that that an actual photo would capture the emotion better.  

I Have a Global Awareness of Artmaking:
I found inspiration from the video I watched in Art class.  In the video, the lady who was doing this assignment used a 20 dollar bill and observed how individuals walking on the street reacted to the money.  In the end, one man took the 20 dollar bill.  I usually don't use photography as a tool but for this assignment I used my phone camera to take accurately the photo and capture the reaction.  I did not participate as an art community member.    

No comments:

Post a Comment